Homemade Italian Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
Posted at 10:04 AM on Jan 13, 2014 by I am THAT Lady: Mark
Growing up, we rarely used jarred tomato sauce when we had Italian dishes, we always used our own homemade spaghetti sauce recipe. Because I was young, I never thought anything of it. But when I had pasta at a friend’s house and they used jarred sauce, I never liked it much. My dad was generally the one who always made our sauce; it was one of his favorite things to do on Sunday afternoons.
This recipe was passed down from my Sicilian grandma. It has been used for generations and you can’t mess it up! It is really easy and tastes SO much better than the store bought sauce. You can do this in a crockpot as long as you quickly cook the garlic before hand. Then place all the ingredients into the crockpot and cook on low for six hours. If you plan to can this sauce, omit the Parmesan cheese and add that when you warm up the sauce before eating.
We often add ground beef or italian sausage to it as well (the one pictured has ground beef in it). This just makes it that much better!
We hope you enjoy it !
- 3-4 cans of Crushed Tomatoes (either regular or with basil, oregano and garlic) 28 oz. sized cans
- 4 cloves of garlic (pressed or chopped finely) This is the garlic press we have and LOVE IT!
- A bunch of dried basil (probably 3-5 Tbsp)
- A bunch of black pepper (probably 1-2 tsp)
- 1 Tbsp of sugar (optional - if you want the sauce a little sweeter)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup of grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Minced Green Peppers (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a 5+ qt. pot over medium heat, and add the chopped or pressed garlic.
- Heat for one to two minutes, making sure not to burn the garlic, then add all the crushed tomatoes, black pepper, basil and sugar. Stirring often, bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 hours stirring often.
- For the first half of the simmer time, do so with the pot uncovered, then cover.
- Add the cheese, stir in and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or so.
- This will make the equivalent to 4-5 jars of sauce, and the cost is probably about half (and it tastes way better).
Use this to make my Recipe for Chicken Parmesan – restaurant quality or better!
I have so many other great recipes, so make sure that you check them out here.