How to Extreme Coupon
Posted at 9:00 PM by I am THAT Lady: Lauren
My guess is that you found me because you watched Extreme Couponing on TLC. Extreme Couponing means different things to different people, but many of you may wonder “How to Extreme Coupon?“. By one’s definition, I may be an extreme couponer; I do get great deals and spend very little out of pocket every week, but I do not get hundreds of boxes of pasta for FREE at one time. I LOVE to coupon… there are days when I eat, breathe, and dream about them. There are also times when I would rather go to Aldi to pick up some things, so that I don’t have to think about them.
When watching the Extreme Couponing show, I am amazed at these men and women and all the work that they put into coupons. Honestly, if I had the time and the coupons I would do it too! It takes years to build up a huge stockpile like the ones they have, I wish I could feed my family off of my stockpile for a year. I could feed my family for about a month off of our stockpile, which is a great accomplishment for me.
If you are here visiting ‘I am THAT lady’ for the first time and are interested in learning how to use coupons, I have some great resources for you. The most important piece of advice I have is this: don’t expect to go out tomorrow and get $1,000 worth of groceries for $60, it takes time and practice. I heard from many people that came to ‘I am THAT lady’ after the first airing of TLC Extreme Couponing back in December, and many of them quit using coupons already because they felt defeated. They were discouraged that they couldn’t do it like the people on the show, so that being said….give yourself some time. Couponing is a learned skill, it does take time to learn the tricks, but I hope to help you understand the basics and get started off on the right foot!
You can see the pictures here of my average stockpile, know that it took months to build it up to where it is. Almost 6 months starting from scratch after I moved. Many people think that coupons are only for junk food or that it takes too much time, you can read about those myths and how I attempted to de-bunk them here.
Here are some beginner resources to help you get started:
- Coupons 101 Video Series (This is a 6 part video series that you can watch at your own pace. It starts at where to get coupons and goes all the way to learning how to use those coupons to menu plan and actually SAVE your family money.)
- Coupon Lingo (How to understand the abbreviations and lingo terms you will see on coupon blogs)
- Get your FREE printable coupons here
- Learn the basics of shopping at Rite Aid
- Ways to earn some extra money at home
- BJ’s vs. Drug store shopping
- How to save money on Meat and Produce
Here are the ways to stay in touch with I am THAT lady:
- Sign up for the I am THAT lady E-newsletter. Get a daily email featuring all the deals of that day, and never miss a great deal or freebie again!
- ‘Like’ I am THAT lady on Facebook for up to the minute updates and fan exclusive notifications.
- ‘Follow’ I am THAT lady on Twitter